Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hat Yai & Muang Songkhla Pre-Ride

My mind are a little bit stuffed a few weeks ago with work and all. A great escape is just what I need for the cure. So I went back to my home town and plan to take a journey to the popular bikers stop, Thailand. I'm not planning that way ahead. It's more like a site survey.

I took the odd road from Kuala Lumpur to get to Jerteh that day. Instead of going to Bentong town, there's another quite infamous route that should be great to take during the festive holiday. You'll be glad to escape the traffic at that season. I went on heading to Karak exit and just before that, there's a route exiting to Kampung Cinta Manis. You can google the map and see how the route cuts Bentong & Raub town, the next thing you know, you in the Benta-Lipis junction. There no speeding at this route, but you can enjoy the twisties and solitary. I spot 10 Porsche ranging from Boxster to the Carrera enjoying their ride on this route. That makes me wish my Focus Zetec 1.8 become the RS for a while.

Arriving at Gua Musang, we took a rest at the blue mosque. My dad prefer to took the Kuala Krai route, he kinda wanna arrived at home before maghrib. I differ. I took the Gua Musang-Dabong-Jeli-Machang-Jertih route. I wanna see the Stong waterfall, and by my GPS calculation, the differences betwen those two route is just 20km. The route is not very comfortable between Gua Musang and Dabong. It would be dangerous to speed since few chuckhole are ready to surprise you. But, it should still be safe, just remember not to speed if you don't see the road ahead.


We stop at Mount Stong entrance and I snap a few pics. Hehehe... I'm one of a Kelantanies who never walk here. Even my dad and mom are here for the first time. Stong get his name just like a bok gets his. Bok is what a kelantanies called a book is, which is buku in Malay, but since the english called it book, they pronounce it as bok. So Stong, as you might guest, origin from stone, which is batu in Malay. Why kelantanies do this - heck!, don't ask me.

So we arrived just as GPS suggested, a few minutes before maghrib. Hang out at my hometown for a few days. I'll always get the nasi berlauk at the Kuala Besut jetty early in the morning. Having a breakfast there is priceless.


Stop at Tok Bali for some fresh sea offering. Fish, cuttlefish, crabs and prawn are just awesome here. This are my three nephews, who is my oldest brother child. They just loved to eat grilled seafood as well.

After a few days, it's time to head to Hat Yai. I head up from Jerteh-Machang-Jeli-Banding-Gerik-Baling-Sungai Petani-Gurun-Bukit Kayu Hitam. Gong hint to get the paper done at Caltex Gurun. And it was a snap. My fuel are less than half tank when I start the car. I know there's a Petronas at Banding Island and another 20 more km, there's one in Gerik. I gamble on it. But I lost the bet. The fuel warning lid up 60km from Banding. The bad news is Petronas at Banding are closed since January this year. The good news, all standard vehicle should able to travel at least 80km when the fuel light is on. But the hill climb to make me sweat a little, scared I would even reach Banding. There should be a warning sign at Jeli that I missed according to the guy there. There no way I could get to Gerik on this. Luckily, fuel are available in gas can here.


A convenience shop sells a can like this for RM40. This can should hold about 18l of fluid. So 18 x RM 1.90 = RM 34.20. He got RM 5.80 profit out of this. I owe them more than this.


I continue the journey and it's been raining since we arrived at Gurun. The Baling-Gerik road was still at it best. There's a flash flood just a few kilometers from Bukit Kayu Hitam checkpoint. I was quite disappointed if ever the road should be closed, we have to turn back. We waited about half an hour and the flood is safe to cross by a car. So trip goes on.

At Caltex Gurun, they already arrange the car insurance and help us fill up the white card. A copy of the car grant letter is a must if you want to cross the border with your own wheel. But the grant should be with your name. Checking out on the Malaysian Immigration isn't a problem. On the Thailand side, you should park your car on the parking lot first. Submit your passport and the white card to the first counter or which ever less queuing is available. A fee of RM1 has to be paid per head. They snap a picture of your face with their web cam on the counter. For the car, a form is printed on the last counter whn you submit your grant and you have to sign it and get a copy. On the way back, you have to submit back the form to the Thailand immigration which ever gate that is. Gong told me he got fine 2000 Baht for not doing so. Another thing, my car is white, but the grant itself are printed black. But that doesn't cause any complication. Once all done, I took the car and waive my hand and smile to the helpful officers.

The rain doesn't stop until we arrived at Hat Yai. It's about 60km from the border. The road are mostly straight but speeding is dangerous. I think max you can hold is just around 110km/h. There are pedestrian right, left and center. So you just might want to be extra careful. My thumbs up to the Thailand road. It is perfectly paved.

As my GPS does it part again, Gong recommended Regency Hotel. An easy access hotel with 800 Baht (RM 81.00) per night, without breakfast, which is the first thing I was looking for the next morning. I'm sure I can't find my way to the hotel if the GPS is not hooked. The road is more ala-Petaling Street. We arrived somewhere around 8p.m. At 10, we were searching for food. Muslim food is easy. Some people here talk Kelantan as well, but English is still understandable.


Me and my wife hang out at this store. I got myself a fried kuew teow and she get herself a meatball mee soup. Cost us 150 Bath with a ice tea and Lai Chi Kang.


A big prawn around 400g cost 200 Baht, a smaller size cost 100 baht and a bit smaller cost 200 baht for 3 pieces. Smaller than a bit smaller cost 50 baht. And smaller than smaller than a bit smaller cost 100 baht for three. I didn't like it.


Muslim food all around. No problem. This one I like.


View of Hat Yai in the morning.


I spot some udang ketak on the street. This is outstandingly delicious if you eat it fresh. Take out the head and break the body vertically. The meat is so juicy. Best to be grilled.


More food options in the morning.

We check out from the hotel at noon. I have trouble with my credit card since I didn't inform the bank that I'll be out from Malaysia for a while. I paid the room in ringgit. We then head to Muang Songkhla. I just have to see the beaches here. It is outstanding. I'm sure elsewhere such as Phuket should have more exciting impact. Songkhla is about 30 minutes drive from Hat Yai. The road is still like a straight line. No exicitement to be on a bike on this trip.


It was a perfect weather. The beaches are neat and tidy. And the wind is extremely nice.


You can still find halal foods here. A stick of this cost 10 baht. I got something like a cucur udang, but this one are just full of prawns. It cheap here compare to Hat Yai.


Delicious.


Somewhere around RM 6.00 spent here.


I don't think it made it any different to Teratai that she's been places.


The lotus flower are seen stretches along the Songkhla road. It's beautiful. I always admire this flower, that's why I named my daughter after them.

We hang out until 4 or 5 I think. Then I have to think of driving all the way down to Kuala Lumpur. It should be almost 600km. Thinking it too far away, we head to Penang for some local favorites.


It's been a perfect weather all the way. Traveling like is so much fun. But if the weather is bad, telling stories about it again and again is much more fun. What counts is always the experience.


A few minutes on the ferry... There's no fish. She just like the wrinkling sea.


Results...


Until next time. Keep watch on this year end trip on a KLX450R. I'm already thinking of a spare gas tank. Get your bike started guys!

No comments: