Saturday, October 25, 2008

Brembo 19RCS Radial Brake Master Cylinder

I got a call from Ah Meng on the Saturday before the MotoGP. "Wei! Your brembo arrived already!". Heh heh... It was a music to my ears. So I set a date with him yesterday 8:00p.m. and get them master cylinder fitted.


Once I arrived, Ah Meng give me this package. On top of it is a price tag with a THANK YOU note. You're welcome! Sorry I forgot to set my cam ISO to the lower setting, I used 3200 when shooting us playing futsal the other day.


Contents of the package. All the sponge has been thrown away. There's the master cylinder pump, microswitch and a feet of cable, manuals and sticker for each side of the bike.


This why they call it micro switch.
Awesome.. no need to mod or add another switch like the previous Brembo pump.


The main unit.


Disassembling the stock radial master cylinder made by Nissin.


Hmm.. I wonder how to get into Sepang turn 1 without having a front brake. It's a suicide.

Radial master cylinder give you more feed back compare to the conventional master cylinder, which usually the pump is located horizontally . By logic, you can get a much better feel if the pump direction you're controlling is the same direction of the lever you're pulling. I spot a lot of technology being implemented on the 19RCS. From what I read, the 19RCS is made from forged aluminum alloy. The unique features of the 19RCS is the capability to switch between 19x18 and 19x20 configuration. If you wonder what's the numbers stands for, 19 is the diameter of the cylinder in mm. Where mostly the size that most high performance master pump use. It's an ideal size, where balance for performance meet. Some OEM Brembo such as for Yamaha uses 16mm. 18 and 20 is the distance between the lever's pivot point and the plunger that pushes into the cylinder, in mm as well.


The 19RCS is set to 19x20 configuration. Recommended for street use.


The 19RCS is set to 19x18 configuration. You'll notice the push rod moved closer to the lever pivot point. The red label tells you that the Brembo is ready for an extreme action. This is recommended for racing. Since the push rod move closer to the pivot point, you need to pull the lever more than in 19x20 configuration to get the same braking effect.


Fitting the Brembo. Suddenly my heart start pounding faster. Not sure why, maybe I thought the breaking will be too excellent. Then I'm thinking about Ducati and R1 brakes, if those guys can do it, so could I.


Ah Meng voluntarily throw in the Motul DOT5.1 brake oil. I must say that DOT4 is far good enough for my kind of riding. But it ain't much of a big deal. DOT5.1 needs to service regularly, compare to DOT4, but it can stand more heat.


DOT5.1 is much more sensitive when it's expose open to air. It's suck the humidity much more then other DOT class. A few minutes doesn't hurt thou.


The 19RCS comes with a folding lever, in case you high or lowsided your bike, the lever is fold from the impact so it won't brake. Will save you a hundred ringgit from the repair bill. But I not planning on going down, hopefully. :)


Eeee... What's that? Can change setting ah?


Previously I upgraded my hose cable to HEL steel braided hose. I also throw in EBC HH pads.


Vacuum sucker is a handy tool to bleed your brake oil. Old fashion way still usable, where they use syringe, but this one make it much easier.


Finished install. The Brembo and Italy color tag is a nice touch.


This one will be kept safe for a while.


Mr. Kevin, another ZX10R owner looks interested in the product too. Hey, I'm not selling this Brembo, just sharing a nice product that I know.

The feel is great! I can't wait to test it on the tracks. I highly recommended these upgrades.

No comments: