Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Twist Of The Wrist

Ever wonder how can those guys go so fast on the track? It's all about hard work. And what they are working on the bike is applying every technique that they know to be the fastest on the track. Believe me, to get the fastest lap is to always concentrate on what you are doing. A few seconds lost is a big time for a racer. If you lost my 0.001sec, you still lost. Right? In taking a corner, you have to always watch your reference marker to know exactly where you could brake the latest. Knowing your line which is the best to take, you throttle, you weight distribution, what your suspension will to do you is most of the things you where thinking while on a corner. So, how do you learn about this technique? And where to? The simplest and easy way is to read a book. Keith Code is a common name in the superbiking world. He wrote several riding technique books and the important of all I must say is the "A Twist Of The Wrist". This books help riders to think and prepare themselves how to beat the track.


Here's what the book looks like. If you planning on getting one, it's available at Kinokuniya, KLCC. I don't find them elsewhere when I was looking for this book. It was recommended to me by Mr. Lee, my first boss when I work as a Shell pump attendant when I was 18. He used to be a good rally driver, and motorsports has always been his hobby. I admire him because he knows where and when to go fast and when and where are not. A person like this always know his responsibilities for himself and others. When I took by my ZX6R in front of him, he gaves me a thumbs up. He then grab my hand and took me to his office. "Come on", he says. He wrote down "A Twist of The Wrist" on a paper and ask me to find this book and understand it. I did and I'm glad.


A boring look inside. But excitement starts when you where thinking on how would it'd be if you are on you bike. Personally, I say the book helps a lot on my riding technique. It would not be as fun as having a teacher or a personal coach, but the theory inside already helps you to explore and experiment what it'll be like to take a perfect corner. But it's not just about cornering. It's more about self control and awareness.


Keith other product doesn't just end on a book. I purchase the AudioCD for A Twist of The Wrist Volume II which is just the same as reading the book itself. I would recommend getting the Volume II rather than the first one. But it's never a lost to have them both. Other books and DVD also available from him.

It's never important to me to be the fastest rider on the track, because I'm not racing. But I love riding. And I like anything that's fast. So to be fast on the track, it's not just about opening up the throttle and have the meanest & powerful machine you could find. It's all about the technique. And a good rider or racer knows them. Let's be one!

1 comment:

BedahNooB said...

agree! power is nothing without control