Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kneedown Lesson @ Turn 17, Nilai

I think everyone will make a question, "Where the hell is turn 17?". Well, the place was discovered by Epol, Ehermm... Sifoo Epol, and the name was given when me and Epol where a little bit frustrated for not having the opportunity to play Sepang on one fine day. That's because it was a little bit raining and I remember seeing a well experience rider smacked his R1 on the Sepang straight speeding on about 240km/h. As we not dare to join in the fun, Epol asked me to practice the kneedown at one quite roundabout. Since Sepang has 15 turns, the exit from Sepang we count as a turn, hence, the roundabout is the 17th turn.

I was quite frustrated when I know there wouldn't be any Sunday ride. I get frustrated every week if I were to miss one. So the plan was to join in the regular Awana's rider if there is no one wants to join. But Epol and Bedah are available, and Awana is not quite on their favour. So I think practicing a kneedown would be just great. It turn out to be fantastic. And I was pushed by Bedah everyday since then to write up this Blog today. Don't worry Bedah... I quite understand. :)

The match against Chelsea and WBA finished around 4a.m. And Bedah still keep SMSesing me about tomorrow's ride. Hmm... I'm a little unsure that he'll get up 8.00 o'clock in the morning. But turn out to be a surprise, at 8:38a.m., "Jumpa kt ner? Wat time?" came an SMS from Bedah. I'm quite happy with his spirit. I first told those guys to meet up at 8.45a.m. at Epol's place, but that morning I left the camcorder in my office and the battery a still flat, so I gap the appointment to 9.45a.m. That saves me some time to charge it, and we all meet promptly after. We had our breakfast and at 10.00a.m. we move to the endless turn.

Bedah are still short on the pants. So I brought my Taichi pants together with me. He borrowed it before at his first trackday few months before at it is kinda loose. On this day, it fits him well. So that kinda another proof biking doesn't slim you down, futsal does! SO COME PLAY FUTSAL LA TOMORROW!!!


Before Epol.. Sifoo Epol gives Bedah the green light, we taught him some of the tips that Bedah should know.


The concentration Bedah gives was amazing. Hehehe...


Gearing up. After this, he'll be heading to Pak Su's to get his own pants and a pair of racing boot. By now he thinks it worth getting one. Huhuhu...


Sifoo Epol show a sample move, where and when to slice.
He looks very comfortable on the Zx14 doesn't he?


I think he kinda nervous. So I take the 2nd role.

Some might say I have a whole lot of the riding technique. But I don't think that's true. I only manage to get a kneedown when I lean low enough. And I am quite OK on a left turn, but on the right, I still feel uncomfortable with my position, sometimes I put a lot of thought on my position while cornering, but most of the time, I don't care much, just to enter the corner as fast as possible. So there is little of technique that I know, and I still have a lot more to learn.


It my turn to suite up.


That's like 4 inches from the ground. Right?


And the speed is still ain't right.


It get lower by every circle.


And when you get it right, it's touchdown.


A little scratching add up to the slider.

It's Bedah turn now.


The body language speaks Bedah determination.


On first first few rounds...


After his first few rounds... Hahaha... Awesome man!


..and it looks good from the ass view too. I really meant the bike la.. Gish!

I remember getting my first kneedown. And Bedah share the same satisfaction. Bedah describe it as good as getting 8As on your SPM exams! Hahaha..


Another new scratch.


Epol then show some more example in reverse order.


Then he shows some fireworks display along the way.

We practice on a 2nd gear with speed around 60km/h. It's tiring to control a torquey bike at that pace.


I enjoy seeing them practicing.


We get comfortable by every turns.
Yippy!

Epol said any beginner would get his knee down average on his 10th laps. I would agree on that.
So don't worry, relax yourself and try it. It's really fun.


I can wait to get my glove and gear off. We played for about 2 1/2 hours. Each of us do 7 to 8 laps on each of our turn. I'm really exhausted by this time.


That's more kneescrapping.


Bedah looks most confortable by the end.
He looks awesome. This is his first kneedown session. And he scores!. In the end, he's not just kneedown, he's kneedragging! The feeling get better when you can do it again.. and again.. and again!


This looks like doing 200km/h on Sepang's turn 3. I'm betting he'll be a regular trackday person from now on. Hehehe..


That is justice to the slider.


Unbelievably satisfied.
I think he'll keep on this subject for a little while. Hahaha...


And I'm just loving it!

Kneedown is just another step of getting to know your bike. This is not just getting to know your body position. You learn to control your throttle as well. And the next step, controlling your suspension with your throttle. Sounds kinda weird? Ask Keith. Ride save guys!