Sunday, November 23, 2008

MOBIL 1 RACING 4T 10W-40 ROAD TEST

Tester: Gong Kawasaki ZX14 '07
Tester: BedahNooB Kawasaki ZX6-R '08

It’s Friday afternoon and I just remembered I haven’t serviced my beloved Zixxer it was almost 6000km since my last oil change and I have a long ride plan this weekend. So I went home and pack, soon after I head out to Mok for my ritualistic oil change. At Mok’s workshop I met Mat and Gong who was there to get his ZX14 oil change.

For those who missed a lot of the 300kmj TTS almost everyone in our group is using Mobil 1 right now and so far I haven’t heard any complaints yet. So when it’s time for me to get my oil change I went to Mok’s and ask for well you guessed it’s the Mobil 1 Racing 10W-40. I ask Gong to try Mobil 1 but he told me he’s a strict Motul man but after some convincing from Mat he reluctantly agreed to try the oil.

Like Mat told you before Mok doesn’t carry Mobil 1 and it takes my Zixxer and Gong ZX14 to persuade Mok to outsource it from Ah Meng. After the bike’s got their oil changed and serviced, I was ready to begin my 1000 km journey and at the same time figure what makes this oil different than other makes.

Accompanying me on this road test is Gong, so after figuring the ‘routes’ we decided to go south because it’s been a while since we travel there and since this is not a scientific test we will only test the oil for engine noise, gear changes, clutch response, engine temperature and performance.

We’re going to do this is on two parts, one is done during noon when the temperature is at the highest while the other part is during the night because for us Malaysian it's the coldest time of day. During this test we are going to abuse the bike, low gearing high revving extremely hardcore shifting kind of abuse. Hehe Yeah right we wouldn’t abuse the bike just for the sake of your enjoyment.

So after some 2 days of rigorous testing on 1000km of asphalt this is our verdict.

Pros: Cheap, Engine Temperature
Cons: Engine Noise, Gear Change, Availability

Conclusions: This oil seems to work very well for a very short while, after doing 650 km the engine starts to become noisy and gear changing is not as smooth as it was earlier. This problem is also shared by A.D’s 08 Z1000 and Pojaman 08 ZX6-R.

We rate it 2.5/5

-BedahNooB-

8 comments:

matchip said...

Hmm.. I don't have that engine noise and gear change has been always smooth.

Looks like u orang kena getah dgn orang yang rekemen. Hehehe...

I would rate Mobil 1 4.5/5.

BedahNooB said...

For me it was better than my last oil, but then again I never used 300V hmm if only I can afford the fucking expensive price tag.

matchip said...

Scout around the net, Mobil 1 is price at $14 and Motul 300V is $17. Repsol racing to price at $14 and Torco T-4SR is arounf $15. Even Silkolene Pro-$T plus is just that area.

But for us, Mobil 1 is RM48, Torco (not sure if it's T-4SR or not) is RM70 and Motul 300V is RM90. Silkolene lagi murah.

My point is let Motul aware. They have great oil, but not value.

BedahNooB said...

How about we bulk order Motul 300V?
Maybe we could save a couple hundred ringgit? Just my 2 cent

BedahNooB said...

Damn those people at Motul Malaysia

matchip said...

Mari kita gunakan kuasa pengguna kita semua. Hehehe...

Ini macam boleh kena charge Akta Hasutan ni..

ktk_ace said...

motul 300V 5W40 4T can be bought for 20 SGD in SG leh.


google "mxtradings motul" :)

ktk_ace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.