Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sepang Track Day 14.11.2008

Sifoo Is SMSes a day before about the track day. I then announce it on the Google Calendar. The fee is RM200.00, that's double from a normal track day. But it'll will be less crowded and instead of 2 hours, you got 3. I'm about 50-50 to join, work... hmm, but the fact that the the next track day is in another month and my tyre tread could only clock some more miles, I decided to joined. Epol wasn't available since I didn't made a prompt confirmation the night before. He had arrange an appointment later that evening.

They started from 2p.m to 5p.m. After Friday prayer, at 2, I head down to Sepang. The weather is terrific for a track day! It's been hot all morning. Felt a little bit lost of the 1/2 hours wasted on the highway. I even miss the KPE exit which is the fastest route from KL to Sepang now. Sigh..

When I've arrived, just a few bikers and racers where on the pit. Zamani, Panjang & his team were there too, they are the MSS champions, they were the regulars. Sifoo Is too has just arrived. That's him far in the below picture.


There's not more than 10 bikes around. But it then add up to about 15.


Felt like a track day from SIC, private and exclusive.


Perfect weather.

I set my tyre pressure to 32/32 first. I've been experimenting with the pressure all the time. 30/30 is the recommended setup from all racers here, 34/36 is what Pirelli would have ask me to do, but that would be on different ambiance. I like 31/31 more than 30/30, maybe due to my weight. But sometimes I forgot the feel. I'm trying 32/32 now. And I felt just great as well.

The newly installed Brembo 19RCS doing it's part again. Excellent. I can fell that my rear tyres are lifted on the hard breaking. Instead of the bike wobbling and swinging left and right, the rear lifted. I think it's the air pressure as well. How important a bike setup could be. Felt wonderful and scary when I pushed it too much. It's a gamble to stop the bike in such short distances, but there is confidence too. Since the brakes are wonderful, I get me wonder on the suspension setup as well. I got bumps on turn 3 entering the turn 4. Turn 9 as well. Want to ask Johnson and Ah Mend to consult. I want to be beat my own time next round.


Not crowded at all. So it's you and the track only. Keith Code said you have to beat the track, but you have to do it better than any other guy. That's the real secret!

Panjang & Zamani's ride are fully mod. Ohlins suspension, race fairing, they even change the crappy Kawa Ohlins damper to another Ohlins. Yoshi exhaust, Brembo brakes and calipers, and the list go on.


Carbon fiber rims on their fully mod ZX10R.


I love how the Titanium changes color because of the heat.

I manage to get 10 laps on the first round. I felt exhausted but can still go on. That's an improvement from all the futsal. Just before I could only push to 6 laps. I take time with this boys and lots of riding technic being shared to each other.

My best before was 2:45:00 in this circuit, and I average on 2:47:00. Average MSS riders can to 2:20:00 and best is around 2:15:00. MotoGP is close to 2:00:00. On this day, I brake my own time, I was averaging on 2:43:00 and manage to get best on 2:40:00. Hahaha! This is big for me and I'm so happy that I'm improving by time. Sepang have 15 corners, I average I take 1-1.5 sec more time from the average MSS rider. So if I'm quick a sec every corner, I could at least do 2:25:00. Hehehe... This will be my next goal.


2:40:00 is scary for me. I manage to get this time after about 24 laps if my calculation are correct. I have to set each pace target on every corner.
1. My speed must not be less than 75km on turn 1, and I must hit at least 260km/h before entering. But the Akrapovic looses the top end. On RPM 10-13, it climbs slowly. This made it very difficult for me.
2. Before getting to turn 4, I must get 210km.
3. Before getting to turn 9, I must get 190km.
4. I must have 120km/h when I start to exit turn 15. Else it would be hard to get 260km/h and the end of the straight.
So this factors was that I take so much attention. It's only 4 point. But from what Keith is saying, all the points are are important. I know I could have to work harder. So imagine how hard do all the racers work.


I played until the fuel is finish. Yippy! This is really great and the RM200.00 felt worth paying now.


Even my suit is tired after all this. I shot another angle but it seems giving another idea.


Pirelli Diablo Corsa III works well. Imagine having the Supercorsa pulak! Tyre choice gonna be hard on the next change. Hmmm...


The effect are not as extreme as if you were using Battlax 016 or 015.

I made my tyre spin on turn 3. The rear tyre spins faster, and I'm drifting!. It felt great... excited... then scared, when the third sensation kick in, I quickly roll off gas. Hahaha.. It's a very rewarding situation, but I don't think I can duplicate it back again, in time maybe. I'm scared I'll be crashing my bike, this happen in just seconds, imagine how quick you have to react and always have to be ready. Have to wait to play offroad with Tok Mat to get some more Kung Fu steps.


At 5:20p.m, everyone has left. It was raining after that and I go and hang out with Epol at his office.


I still don't do justice on my right slider. My problem is still not getting use the hang on on right turns. I must admit I was going for the speed. I don't feel comfortable yet with my right position. The left is all clear. :)

I gonna have fun reading this back when I could hit 2:30:00.

4 comments:

gong said...

ko almost 80% ready to break ur target bro.to get into 02:15-02:20 ur machine has to install PC in order to manage the bike run smoothly & easily reach to top end after & before exiting the corner especially after turn 2 head up to turn 4, after 6-8, after 14-15 & 15-1.rebound also could make the bike fast/comfort on turn 2-4, 6-8 & 11-13.track tyre,suspension & braking system also give full performance.ur pace target will succeed after all these things.

02:15 is the best time for the racer.if u refer ur time with other leisure bikers, definitely 02:40 was better than us.i myself dont think could reach that time. perhaps after i get myself superbike & get ideal weight.hehehe

keep fit jom futsal.HIDUP MAT!

matchip said...

But I know someone who can do 2:26:00 on a '08 ZX10R with just a Akra slip mod. He tune his suspension well. Still a lot more to learn... :)

BedahNooB said...

Maybe I could try it with your bike hehehe

matchip said...

Boleh. No problem! Nanti next rack day jangan lupa datang.